Gynecomastia surgery One of the problems that cause shame in most men is the problem of large breast size or what is known as gynecomastia for men, and this situation affects many men for various reasons, including obesity or genetics, but for any reason, there are ways to get rid of this problem, which is the goal to be A reason why all men who suffer from it seek liposuction.
It is no longer impossible to get rid of gynecomastia in men today with the advancement of medicine and the development of modern technology.
The process of removing gynecomastia in men has spread in various Arab countries, as well as liposuction.
Therefore, in this article, we will provide information about gynecomastia in men, its treatment and its cost.
Here below some Quick Information about Gynecomastia surgery
|Anesthesia||Local / general (according to the nature of the procedure)|
|Procedure Duration||3 Hours|
|Stay in the hospital||One night after procedure|
|Results appearance||Gradually after the effects of the process disappear|
|Continuity of results||Forever|
|Return to daily activity||2 weeks|
|Procedure method||Removal of excess tissue with suction of the fat accumulated around the breast|
|Turk Aesthetic Cost||2000 USD|
Gynecomastia surgery – Video
What is Gynecomastia?
- The concept of gynecomastia is an increase in the amount of mammary gland tissue in men or boys and adolescents due to an imbalance in the hormones estrogen and testosterone.
- Gynecomastia affects one or both breasts, sometimes unevenly.
- Gynecomastia is not a serious problem, but in some cases it may be difficult to deal with this problem, as men and boys suffer from gynecomastia with breast pain, and some of them feel embarrassed because of the appearance of the breast.
- Sometimes gynecomastia goes away on its own, sometimes it may persist and this may require medication or surgery.
- Breast tissue enlarges in cases where the proportion of estrogen (the female hormone) exceeds the hormone testosterone (the male hormone).
- In the normal state, there are two hormones for both sexes, and the difference is in the hormonal ratio, where the level of estrogen in women has a high percentage of testosterone, while in men, where the level of testosterone is higher than the level of estrogen.
- As for the case of gynecomastia in men, it constitutes a percentage of about 60% of problems related to the breasts.
- As for the problem of enlarged breast tissue in men, it is a common medical condition that begins to appear in men and this condition is specific and at a certain age, but there are 40% of cases that are visible in boys between the ages of 14 to 16, and as for its cause, it is unknown and specific But it can be due to a number of reasons, the most important of which are hormonal changes and obesity, or due to taking some medications that cause hormonal imbalances. Even there are 75% without a known cause.
Usually, symptoms of gynecomastia appear in men in the form of a soft mass under the nipple or the edges of the breast, and this mass is small and sensitive when touched. It can also be in one breast without the other, and there can be developments in the size of breast tissue on one or both sides.
Mostly, the symptoms of gynecomastia in men include a feeling of pain and skin ulcers, and the symptoms are as follows:
- Large breasts.
- When touching and pressing the breast, the person feels some pain.
- Sensitivity in the breast.
- Notice that there are some secretions coming down from the nipple.
- Feeling of a fibrous mass inside the breast.
In some rare cases, gynecomastia is associated with breast cancer. Although the symptoms of gynecomastia in men are completely different, it is rare for men to develop breast cancer. These rare symptoms are:
- The presence of bloody discharge from the nipple.
- Notice the presence of painful lumps in one of the breasts from the inside.
- Feeling of rubber and hard lumps in the breast when touched, and they are mostly unstable.
- The presence of ulcers in the skin of the breast.
If these symptoms are felt and felt, they are a sign of a serious health condition and require a visit to the doctor.
The decrease in the amount of testosterone compared to estrogen and the decrease are due to conditions that block the effects of testosterone, reduce testosterone or increase the level of estrogen.
Therefore, there are several other factors that cause hormonal imbalance, such as:
- Natural hormonal changes: Most people think that estrogen is a hormone that only females produce, but in men it is also produced and despite being in small quantities, it can be due to the high levels of estrogen in males, and the imbalance of estrogen With testosterone levels it leads to gynecomastia.
- Gynecomastia during puberty. During puberty, we may notice gynecomastia in boys and hormonal changes, which are common occurrences. In most cases, the swollen breast tissue begins to disappear without treatment, with a period of six months to two years.
- Gynecomastia in men. Gynecomastia in men may be seen at the age of 50 and 69. It is most likely caused by 1 in 4 men at this age.
- Medications: There are a number of medications that cause gynecomastia, such as: anti-androgens used to treat prostate enlargement and prostate cancer, flutamide, finasteride (Proscar, Propecia), spironolactone (Aldactone, Carosper) and anabolic steroids, which doctors prescribe in certain circumstances where they are often used It is illegal for athletes to build muscle and enhance performance. Also anti-anxiety medications, such as diazepam (Valium) and tricyclic antidepressants, as well as heart medications, such as digoxin (Lanoxin), calcium channel blockers and gastric emptying medications, such as metoclopramide (Reglan).
- Health conditions: Some health conditions may lead to gynecomastia by affecting the natural balance of hormones, such as: • Hypogonadism. Conditions that interfere with normal testosterone production, such as Klinefelter syndrome or hypopituitarism, can be associated with gynecomastia. • Aging, as the hormonal changes that accompany aging cause gynecomastia, especially in men who are overweight. • Tumors: Some tumors, such as those affecting the testicles, adrenal glands, or pituitary glands, alter the balance of hormones between males and females. • Hyperthyroidism: where the thyroid gland produces a lot of hormones that may lead to gynecomastia. • Liver failure and cirrhosis: The correlation of changes in hormone levels related to liver problems and cirrhosis leads to gynecomastia in men.
Gynecomastia Types and Degrees
- Gynecomastia due to obesity In relation to morbid obesity, it occurs due to many diseases such diabetes, high blood pressure & decreased ability to move, in addition to psychological problems and isolation in social and professional places for some people. Because of the significant increase in weight, there will be a large sagging in the skin, especially in the chest area, and sagging tissues. Gynecomastia is treated in this case by liposuction, the removal of soft tissues, and the removal of excess sagging skin.
- Mixed gynecomastia where fat is mixed with fibrous tissue and the appropriate method for this case is liposuction with open excision and removal of skin tags. The fat is removed through suction, then the glandular component, which is located at the bottom of the nipple area, is removed through a small cut inside the areola and the area around the nipple, so it is preferable to insert a plastic tube at the bottom of the skin and such a procedure takes time ranging from 12 to 24 An hour, as it requires a long time in the hospital, in order to remove the drain, and that is in the last part of the same day or the next day.
- False gynecomastia. It is seborrheic gynecomastia (pseudo gynecomastia) & is common in all ages. Where appropriate method for treating gynecomastia is liposuction only. scars reduced in suction to a minimum and it can done under local or general anesthesia, and the patient can return to daily activities within 48 hours.
- Fibrous gynecomastia. Some patients who suffer from gynecomastia and without large amounts of fat, of course, in this case, the doctors do an open excision without suctioning any fat. This is normal in patients who have defined muscles and a good BMI. In some cases, liposuction will done to improve the overall definition, after removing the glands and fibrous tissue that causes gynecomastia.
Gynecomastia is treated by some medicines and drugs, but most of the international medical administrations did not announce these medicines, but they may bring a result in some cases, and sometimes the medicines do not lead to any tangible result, after twelve months of getting gynecomastia, because the breast tissue may become fibrous and be The only solution is through surgery. Among the most important medications and drugs that used to treat gynecomastia:
01- Drugs to increase testosterone
They prescribed to the elderly who have a low level of the hormone, and these drugs are not suitable for those who have normal levels of it. Hormone therapy continues for up to six months in the least, until results appear. The treatment by hormonal drugs includes a hormone to suppress estrogen and reduce the testicles until the breast size decreases, but it does not lead to reducing breast enlargement or lumps and sometimes causes pain. It is not possible to take any kind of hormone medication unless under the supervision of a doctor and doing the necessary analyzes, otherwise it can lead to serious medical conditions. Doctors advise patients with simple cases to do exercise every day, as sports help to tighten muscles and get rid of fat It works to maintain the integrity of the body and keep it healthy and strong, and this works to reduce the formation of fat in the breast area.
02- Medical treatment of gynecomastia by surgery
The process of gynecomastia for men, or the so-called gyno operation, is a surgical procedure to get rid of glandular tissue, difficult fat and excess skin that distorts the appearance of the chest, where the process of gynecomastia is the quick and effective solution that doctors resort and prefer and that patients who are not satisfied with the appearance of their chest resort to To achieve the appearance of a more masculine chest and work to enhance self-confidence.
If the treatment with hormonal drugs does not lead to a response or to improve the condition, then surgery will be the most appropriate solution when the patient wants guaranteed and quick results to get rid of the mistrust due to the problem of gynecomastia
How gynecomastia surgery perform?
This technique is through liposuction, gland excision, breast reduction, or a combination of these surgical techniques together.
The gynecomastia operation performed according to the following steps:
Anesthesia: In the anesthesia stage, which is the first step in any surgical procedure to prepare patients for comfortable surgery during surgical operations. Anesthesia options for gynecomastia treatment are either intravenous sedation or general anaesthesia. The doctor will help the person choose the appropriate anesthesia for their condition.
Liposuction: When gynecomastia is the main cause, as a result of excess fatty tissue, liposuction techniques used alone.
This procedure involves inserting a cannula, or a thin hollow tube, by making several small incisions and moving the cannula back and forth through a controlled movement to loosen the excess fat. This fat removed from the body by vacuum suction.
There are many liposuction techniques that we can use, and in general, the most appropriate technique for the person’s condition will determined before the procedure.
Glandular tissue excision technique Some of the most serious cases of gynecomastia need surgical excision of tissue to achieve the best results. Excess breast glandular tissue or skin removed to correct gynecomastia.
Tissue removal allows the surgeon to remove more glandular tissue or skin that we cannot successfully treat with liposuction alone.
It determines the location and length of the incisions over the course of the surgery needed, usually around the edge of the areola (the circle around the nipple) or within the creases of the chest.
An excision is necessary if the areola reduced or the nipple repositioned to a more normal circumference for males. Incision patterns are different depending on the particular circumstances and surgical preferences.
A combination of liposuction and excision techniques: Sometimes gynecomastia treated by liposuction and excision. This condition suffers from enlargement of both breasts, so it is appropriate to remove excess breast tissue for the liposuction side.
The modern liposuction technique that designed to divide the denser breast tissue into small parts so that it can suctioned, as for large breast cuts, or in cases where the excess skin must removed as well, and this procedure requires making larger incisions that lead to larger scars.
All male gynecomastia operations done under general anesthesia and the person needs to stay in the hospital for one night.
After gynecomastia surgery
The doctor will explain the care that must carried out after the operation, and this depends on the success of the operation and obtaining the most accurate, and therefore all that the doctor or plastic surgeon and the care staff provide tips and instructions that must adhered to, must adhered to, including the following:
- Get complete rest and take care of medication.
- It is important to rest completely after the operation of gynecomastia and pay attention to food, as the person needs to eat some light foods and take painkillers and anti-inflammatories prescribed by the doctor in order to reduce the complications of swelling and bruising, and to refrain from smoking and taking painkillers that cause blood flow.
- Hydration: Working on hydrating the body and drinking appropriate amounts of fluids during the recovery phase, and this helps in recovering better and healing wounds in less time.
- Sufficient sleep after the operation: It is important to get enough rest and sleep at a degree of 45 degrees so that the head is higher than the shoulder level in the first three days and to continue sleeping in this way to feel comfortable during normal sleep and for the duration it varies from one patient to another Anesthesia may make it difficult for a person to sleep at night after surgery. Therefore, the doctor prescribes sedative pills that help to sleep, which the patient takes an hour before bedtime.
- Wound care. Where the doctor uses customized sutures that dissolve on their own. The first time the doctor changes the surgical tape during a period of 10-14 days, after that, the threads begin to disappear..
Tips to get rid of gynecomastia
- Refrain from fast food, as it is more rich in fat and calories than other foods, and replace it with healthy foods, for example: fish, vegetables, fruits, and red meat, which prevents the accumulation of fat in the chest area.
- Work to reduce the intake of grains, because it raises the level of estrogen and reduces the level of testosterone, so sources of saturated fats should added, such as: olive oil, avocado, and nuts.
- Eating more eggs increases the testosterone hormone.
- Refrain from eating bean and soy products, as they exacerbate the problem, and follow a diet that contains many vegetables that inhibit the secretion of estrogen, such as: broccoli, cabbage, rice milk, almonds and natural juices.
- Avoid sugar, sweetened foods and complex carbohydrates because they are based on weight gain and obesity, which is the reason for the appearance of breasts in men, and fatty foods increase the secretion of testosterone instead.
- Doing cardiovascular exercises for a period ranging from half an hour to an hour daily, as it burns chest fat and increases physical fitness.
- Do exercises that focus on the upper body, such as: boxing, swimming, rowing, playing football, tennis, and walking to reduce the accumulation of fat in the body.
- Not using drugs, steroids, androgens, amphetamines, heroin and marijuana.
- Not to drink alcohol, and if a person drinks, he should drink in moderation.
- Review the medications the person is taking and find out if they cause gynecomastia. It is preferable to ask the doctor if there are other options.
When men do not get rid of gynecomastia by these methods, then drugs and plastic surgery used.
Gynecomastia surgery cost
There are many factors that play a role in determining the cost of gynecomastia surgery in men, most notably:
- The difficulty of the case: as the cost of the gynecomastia removal procedure increases in men with the increase in the area of sagging skin or the amount of fat that is to suctioned, this will change the type of operation or the method that will used in the case of the person.
- The experience of the surgeon: The competence and skill of the doctor or plastic surgeon play a role in determining the cost of gynecomastia surgery in men.
- Geographical region: The region or country in which the gynecomastia operation will performed plays a role in calculating the cost.
- Also, the price of some items that increase the cost of gynecomastia removal in men is added, such as: the cost of anesthesia, hospital equipment, medical center, operating room, analyzes, medical examinations, tools needed after the operation, use of medicines and surgical supplies, and the cost of the surgeon’s hand as well.
So, based on the foregoing, the average cost of male gynecomastia removal is $5,000.
And the cost of male gynecomastia removal surgery in Egypt amounts to 60-90 thousand Egyptian pounds.
It is also add that the person’s self-confidence in getting rid of the causes of shyness may worth more than that.
As for the cost of the operation to remove gynecomastia in men, it is not covered by insurance companies often, but the policy of the insurance company should be reviewed anyway.