Lower jaw surgery in Turkey (Mandibular Osteotomy) was not the goal of a cosmetic jaw surgery from the beginning, it was called orthodontic surgery to correct the irregularities of the jawbones and re-align the jaw and teeth to improve its functioning.
Later on, the jaw surgery became a prominent option among the options to improve the appearance of the face, and the concept of mandible surgery involves that of corrective plastic surgery to rearrange and coordinate the lower jaw defects and repair the deformities that the patient may complain about.
Recently, this concept has expanded to include also reshaping the jaw bones by enlarging or reducing or giving a specific shape as desired.
In this article, we will give you detailed information about the lower jaw surgery that you should know about before embarking on it.
Lower jaw surgery in Turkey
The deviation of the lower jaw is one of the most common deformities, either as a result of an accident or an imbalance in the growth rate of one of the jaws from the other, but the majority are hereditary conditions.
Jaw surgery is suitable after stunted growth, that is, from ages 14 to 16 for females, and from ages 17 to 21 for males.
As for the cases that are treated by jaw operations, they are:
- Congenital jaw anomalies
- Fractures that occur as a result of errors during childbirth
- The so-called open bite, meaning the presence of a space separating the lower jaw from the upper jaw when the mouth is closed
- Wounds and fractures in the jaw and face as a result of collisions or accidents
- The inability to lock the upper and lower lips without making a great effort to do so
- Protrusion of the lower jaw or its enlargement in relation to the rest of the face
- Small jaw and receding inward in a way that impedes the function
- Cases of tumors that affect the jaw bones, whether benign or malignant
Lower jaw surgery Reasons
Lower jaw surgery may help:
- Reducing excessive wear and fracturing of teeth
- Improving the ability of the lips to close fully easily
- Correction of birth defects or facial injuries
- Relief from obstructive sleep apnea
- Correcting problems with swallowing or speaking
- Reducing pain resulting from a disorder in the temporomandibular joint and other jaw problems
- Correcting facial imbalance “asymmetry” such as chin, lower jaw protrusion, overbite, and cross occlusion
- Improve chewing in general
Instructions before procedure
The following must be adhered to to obtain satisfactory results:
- Take antibiotics for ten days before the operation to avoid any infection
- Not using substances and drugs that increase bleeding, such as aspirin, for a month before the operation
- Drink plenty of water
- Stop smoking before the operation for a period of not less than a month and a half
Lower jaw surgery steps
01- Before the procedure
You must present your full medical record to the doctor and indicate whether you suffer from hypertension, diabetes, heart failure or liver disease, as well as whether you are allergic to some medicines.
You must inform the doctor about whether you have previously undergone any surgery and what are the results and complications that you have been exposed to
The doctor will examine your condition through a careful examination of the jaws and determine whether the surgical intervention is the most appropriate or not?
In the event that a decision is taken to perform the operation, there will be a list of analyzes and a consultation with a cardiologist, anesthesiologist, blood analysis and liver function.
In most cases, an orthodontist puts an orthodontic instrument before surgery on the teeth for a period of one to a year and a half, that is, between 12 and 18 months, until the teeth are straight in preparation for surgery.
X-rays, images and models of your teeth are part of the treatment plan, and 3D computerized tomography, computer-guided treatment planning, and temporary orthodontic devices can be used to help the movement of teeth and reduce the time of placing the braces. In some cases, these procedures may help eliminate the need to perform the operation.
02- During the procedure
Usually the operation can be performed inside the mouth, so facial scars are not visible on the chin, jaw or around the mouth, however, in some cases, small incisions may need to be made outside your mouth.
The surgeon makes slits in the jawbones and moves them into the correct position. Upon completion of the movement of the jaw, a small bone plate, screws, wires and rubber bands can be used to stabilize the bones in their new location. Over time these nails pour it into the bone structure.
In some cases, the surgeon may transfer bones from the thigh, leg, or rib and add them to the jawbones and fix them with plates and screws.
The surgeon makes incisions behind the molars and along the lower jawbone so that the front part of the jaw can move as one unit.
The jaw can then be moved to its new location either forward or backward, depending on the situation, and screws and plates fix the bones during the healing process.
The steps can be summarized as follows:
- Anesthesia, in which the lower jaw is operated under general anesthesia
- Reset the jaw bones according to the defect
- Replace the tissues and close the wound
03- After the procedure
After surgery, you may suffer from some of the following:
- Pain and swelling
- Taking a short time to modify the appearance of a new face
- Problems related to eating that can be addressed using nutritional supplements or in consultation with a dietitian
- Defective wound healing or healing in a distorted manner
After the operation … What do we expect?
The results may not be convincing immediately after the operation and are not satisfactory, as you feel pain in the jaw, inability to close the mouth, and some swelling, redness and numbness, but soon conditions change and the results begin to appear after the disappearance of the swellings after about a week.
With the second week, the external appearance improves, chewing smoothly, speaking fluently, and the pain gradually disappears.
Instructions after lower jaw surgery
After your surgery, your doctor will give you some instructions .. stick to them:
- The food that can be eaten
- Oral hygiene
- Avoid smoking and using tobacco and any atmosphere with pollutants in order not to contaminate the wound
- Take pain relievers, antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs
- Avoid strenuous activities
- The time when you can return to work or school
- Avoid exposure to sunlight
- Seeing the doctor on the specified dates
- The initial recovery process usually takes about six weeks after surgery, but full recovery may take approximately 12 weeks
Mandibular operation results
Jaw surgery can result in:
- Balanced look for the lower part of the face
- Improve your dental function
- Improved articulation and speech
- Health benefits such as improved sleep, breathing, chewing and swallowing
- Improved self-confidence
- Improved appearance
Lower jaw surgery cost in Turkey
The cost of this operation varies from place to place and according to the surgeon, and it also differs according to the case to be treated
- The average cost is $ 1,500, while in Germany it drops to $ 1,000, while it is high in Turkey to nearly $ 2,000
- Britain, it is approximately $ 1,700
- UAE, it reaches $ 2,500
- Egypt, where the science capital drops to $ 950.