Dental Root Canal may include tooth root inflammation treatment (pulp and nerve) or nerve canals calcification or dental canals obstruction, which is a medical procedure used to treat the infection that occurs in the teeth pulp or in the root canal system and is done by cleaning the tooth pulp from blood or it may require pulling the tooth nerve.
Tooth root inflammation occurs because bacteria that live in the mouth invade the teeth.
It can happen after:
- Dental caries (tooth decay)
- Fillings that have leakage
- Damaged teeth caused by trauma, teeth that have been broken or fallen out.
In the early stages of the inflammation, the patient may not feel any pain, unlike the advanced stages the patient feels pain, which means that the tooth root or the tooth nerve is in the way of damage or has been damaged.
In the past when the patient was suffering from similar problems, it was necessary to extract the whole tooth.
Nowadays, thanks to the root canal treatment technic, many teeth can be preserved without losing them completely.
The teeth are made up of two main parts: the crown, which is the upper part of the tooth that appears in the mouth, and the root is the part that extends to the jawbone, firmly anchoring the tooth.
The tooth also consists of:
Enamel layer – the hard outer layer of the crown
Dentin – a calcified tissue that supports the enamel layer and forms most of the tooth
cementum – a solid material which covers the root surface
Dental pulp – the soft tissue in the middle of the tooth
Root canal system contains the core of the tooth and extends from the tooth crown to the end of the root. One tooth may contain more than one root canal.
How is dental root canal treatment done?
- The goal of teeth root canal treatment is to remove the infection from the root canal.
- The dentist cleans the tooth root then it is filled to prevent any other diseases of the tooth.
- Treating the root canal is a proficient procedure and may take a long time.
- Most cases require a visit to the dentist tow or even more.
- On the first visit, the damaged pulp is removed then the dentist waits for the infections and dental abscesses to heal and completely come to an end.
- During the next visit, the root canal is cleaned and prepared for treatment
- A temporary filler is placed inside the root then the dentist let the teeth a period of time to stabilize.
- The teeth are examined in a later visit. When everything seems to be all right and inflammation and abscesses disappear, the dentist begins to apply a permanently filing.
- In the final step, the crown is placed on the teeth to gain its natural shape and ideal appearance.
- In some cases, there may be a need for a new dental crown to get as natural a shape as possible.
Is the Dental Root Canal treatment painful?
Generally, no pain occurs due to local anesthesia, which is applied. It is somehow similar to the feeling of normal tooth filling, there may be some pain after the treatment but it should gradually end over time.
Dental Root Canal treatment cost
Dental Root Canal treatment is one of the most complicated and difficult dental procedures, its price in Turkey compared to other countries in Europe and the Middle East is very good and convenient.
The price of treating Root Canal in Turkey depends on:
- The number of canals to be treated.
- Dental procedures associated with root canal treatment.
- Dentist experience.