Abortion is a medical procedure based on ending unwanted pregnancy or due to improper development of the fetus.
In this article, Turk aesthetic will explain in detail the procedure, its types, and causes.
Before the Abortion
First and foremost a woman should take a pregnancy test at a specialist health center to determine if there is a pregnancy or not.
According to the test results, if there is a pregnancy, the doctor may decide to abort it according to the patient’s request or after a gynecological examination.
How it is done?
The procedure is performed by inserting a device into the vagina through the cervix into the uterus to remove fetal tissue and pregnancy outside the uterine cavity.
This procedure is performed between the 1th and the 8th week of pregnancy.
- Surgical abortion means undergoing surgery, there are kinds of surgical procedures for abortion.
- The type of abortion depends on the duration of your pregnancy. You are either put into general anesthesia during the surgery or only into local anesthesia, which is an injection of a cervical anesthetic that makes you feel nothing, and you will be awake during the procedure.
- This procedure is done if the duration of pregnancy does not exceed 8 weeks.
- This procedure is done by suctioning the fetus from the uterus through a tube, It takes 3 to 10 minutes. The procedure is performed under general or local anesthesia depending on the number of weeks of pregnancy
- After the surgery, severe bleeding will occur in the first two or three days, after which the bleeding will be mild for a period of two to three weeks.
- Aspiration abortion is very safe as you can return home the same day.
Surgical dilation and evacuation
It is similar to aspiration abortion and this procedure is done if the pregnancy is between 12 to 14 weeks.
A forceps and suction tube are used to pull the fetus from the uterus and the procedure takes 10 to 20 minutes.
D&C or dilation and curettage
- Dilation and curettage must be performed by a skilled doctor in an equipped medical room. The cervix is expanded, the fetus and the placenta are sucked together.
- This is the safest procedure, as the World Health Organization recommends this procedure.
- The procedure is carried out in the 1 to 8 weeks period of pregnancy.
- It begins by injecting prostaglandins into the uterus. This substance causes labor-like contractions for some time between 6 hours to 12 hours, after this, dilation and curettage is performed, to make sure that the uterus is emptied.
- This procedure is done while the patient is completely awake and may be accompanied by complications and pain that will be passed by using some medicines.
After the operation
You may need to rest about a day after the procedure. In the first few days, you may feel mild abdominal pain similar to menstrual pain. Bleeding in the vagina can also occur for two to three weeks. in this period, you cannot have vaginal sex or swimming nor should a tampon or menstrual cup be used.
- Inflammation of the uterus.
- Prolonged acute bleeding.
These risks can be avoided by using some antibiotics or by using other methods if the abortion is incomplete.